Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Do You love the Skin You're in?


I found myself looking around at all the avs around me about two weeks ago, thinking just how beautiful they all looked and how plain I did. Wasn't sl created to make us feel better about ourselves? To let us be more than what we could in rl?
So I started to look for makeup, still too new to know that you need a full skin in most cases. I did find one look that was just perfect, dark smoky eyes and pale lipstick. It looked fabulous on the model. Perfect I thought and was off.
A few hours later while in a meeting with my editor, she asked if I needed some help. I looked well, see-through. Back to the drawing board. Finding a skin that I liked all of was a time consuming job. I ended up spending a full week shopping and trying on demos from every sl store that carried skins. When considering a skin, you must take into account: 1) How fitting is it for day to day -especially if you have a job in sl. 2) Does it flatter your favourite shape that you wear all the time? 3)Will it go with most hair styles in sl? and 4) How does it look in all the lighting settings? The last one was my biggest mistake. I had tried it on in "noon" mode and hadn't thought about how it would look in "midnight" or sunrise/sunset mode.
My choice was a goth skin that was meant to make you look like a zombie. In the end, not what I was going for. Also, I have to admit that when I tried on the demo, I did so bald and the skin just didn't seem to work with any of the hairdos.
What I did find in the end, was a skin that was not really a "normal skin" and not really a goth skin. Most cases the goth skins were too over the top in makeup for my style, and the normal skins were too ordinary for my style. The so called "light" skins still had a tan, and all the "pale" skins had crazy make up.
When I did find one, it was at Digital Dragon Designs.

Reporter Dashwood Dayafter

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

your skin has a very special look for I think a very special person. Ilook forward to reading more of your work. It is good to know more about good shops. Search results leaves a lot to be desired. Very time consuming for ones that do not have hours to seach for very nice shops. Plenty of poor quality shops out there.