Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Featured designer: Raven Pennyfeather

I recently had the honour of meeting Raven creator of Rfyre at the opening of The Writers’ Block Café and Bar (see below).
After being introduced by her assistant Harper Beresford I arrange a chance to 'interview' her.
I hate interviewing and prefer to chat, especially with one of my design idols.
My first question was how she started designing in SL;
Raven Pennyfeather: I think I kind of evolved into it actually... I have always had a very keen interest in art since I was a little girl, my grandmother put a crayon into my hand and I was off and running. Art was always something I held a passion for but was guided by what I thought the sensible thing to do was so all during my years in school and later in the work world, art always parallelled my other studies and activities.
Dana: I noticed the historical influence
Raven Pennyfeather: I am obsessed by costumes, I remember a set of historical paper dolls and in all my illustrations my detail was always around the figures and their garments, I am fascinated by ancient cultures and history
Dana: So you think that art is the key to good design?
Raven Pennyfeather: I think its a combination really of a passion to create and then a bit of training to help you manage / learn the skills.
Dana: SL gives a lot of artists a medium they would never have found any other way.
Raven Pennyfeather: Where else could we meet such a concentration of people who share a passion to create, I have shared this previously but the name RFyre itself is representational of that concept, R meaning "our" and Fyre meaning the burning need to create.
Dana: Your designs are so detailed it fascinates me
Raven Pennyfeather: I am a texture addict, lol, there are a lot of hours logged into each design
Dana: Can I ask why Gothic?
Raven Pennyfeather: I never set out to be a goth designer, my focus was on the archaic, but over time the romanticism of some of the more shadowy figures in literature and history caught my attention, I am always drawn to darkly elegant things.
Dana: And the furniture and weapons are just an extension of that?
Raven Pennyfeather: nods.. yes... but I am not a furniture designer ... just a passion for textiles. I rely heavily on some of my dear friends in here who are extremely talented in furniture/ interiors
Dana: You have been in SL for 3 years, what is your opinion of all the recent changes?
Raven Pennyfeather: It had more of a small town feel, but truth be told I still have that sense about it. The changes have been phenomenal in SL since I first joined, the enhancements have been on one hand infuriating yet at the same time has opened up room for creative expansion with flexi and now sculpties, this medium is still in its infancy.
Dana: How do you see your future in SL?
Raven Pennyfeather: I will continue to focus on doing what I love and trying always to be the very best that I can be. I try to focus on the internal and staying in the moment... I have no idea of what the future will bring..
Dana: How has being successful in secondlife affected your RL?
Raven Pennyfeather: In the beginning people didn't quite "get" what it was that I did but my family and friends after a time realized that I was at last able to find a home in my art, one that could sustain me in a way corporate America never could this is a gift and a privilege to be able to do this here.. I have paid my dues out there... and I feel like I have found my true niche. Making sure to balance the real with the virtual. I have a lovely circle of RL friends and family that I make sure to spend time with. I still find that I want to fly up to the second floor in a mall and am frustrated that I can't in RL. I have a partner who enjoys being in the virtual too so that makes it much easier.
Dana: How many shops do you have?
Raven Pennyfeather: Yes... well I have over a 100 now.. and use a lot of the organizational skills I have acquired along the way in my former corporate lives, that has been over a period of two years. The group issue is very frustrating but there are "work arounds"


It was about this point that SL decided the interview had gone on too long LOL and booted us both several times. I want to thank you Raven for the time you gave me and for the wonderful creations that have made MY secondlife so special; left you can see me wearing one of Ravens creations 'Carnival' (which was a gift from Voodoo on my RL birthday) on the happiest day of my life.
Below you can see some of my favourites.


If you haven't discovered Rfyre yet click here to explore the wonderful creations for men and woman at her main showroom

1 comments:

Miralee Munro said...

Like you Dana, I am a Raven fan and love her theatrical designs and the rich colours she uses.

I love costumes that evoke an atmosphere, not just a look.

You are a very special gem Raven - long may you design.