Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Drama at JCNY contest: we tell both sides

On Tuesday I received a strange story, now this does happen but we don't always print them. This however was well written and expressed one side of a story, so I did what any reporter would do I contacted the other side to get the full picture.
One thing I do wish emphasized is that none of this is written by me, I will not print the whole story but will try to show both sides, even after being accused of writing it, I still wish to be fair:

"Many weeks ago JCNY launched a "SL Reality Model" contest. The format is familiar to every Second Lifer: each week JCNY would choose a group of 9 models and open the voting booth for the public. Each week 4 models would get enough votes to move on to the next week while others fell to the side and were bid farewell. The final week, the model with the most votes that week is the winner. Simple enough.We all know that voting in SL would make Chicago's famous Mayor Daly ("Vote early. Vote often") proud.
I began watching the JCNY contest after hearing the very well respected photographer and Vogue Models owner Evely Lane complaining (in a nice way) about how one of her models had been treated less than fairly during one of the weeks. Let's be honest, everyone loves gossip! Having never been to JCNY, I figured I'd check it out. During that week I voted a few times for various models and struck up conversation with some of them. Everything seemed normal and professional to me.
During the next week, one of my new friends, Vixie suggested I contact one of the other models Pocket Arai (whom I had refused to vote for because she seemed so popular). She informed me that Ms Arai's agency was looking for models for an upcoming show. "Coolness", I thought, and so I contacted Ms Arai and she agreed to take me on as a runway model. I say this for the sake of transparency. That week, my friend Vixie failed to "make the cut" but Pocket proceeded, as did others for whom I voted.
The final week came without much incident. But it was on the third day of the final week that Pocket made a comment to me that "Rainn is attempting to force me out of the contest." I had seen this contestant Rainn, but honestly I don't vote for blonds very much and she was a lovely blond model. I thought Pocket was being overly sensitive and probably paranoid. Just in case something juicy was happening, I began to stake the place out, day and night.
I was not to be disappointed. What happened over the final 4 days of the JCNY contest can only be described as disgusting entertainment. Lets just say it was like Jerry Springer's show on whiskey and steroids.
The formerly quiet, professional place was now buzzing with people. Harassment of noobie JCNY customers and voters was joined by constant trash talking in the open voice channel (I have 100's of pages of chat logs and 90 minutes of recorded vocal dialogue to back this up). The competition had boiled down to two contestants, Pocket and Rainn. Both had been fairly popular during previous weeks. Both have been in SL for some time and have a nicely developed network of friends (these networks form the bedrock for popularity contest voting). It was no surprise to see that Pocket and Rainn were running neck and neck.
Rainn seemed to be in control of the veritable reign of trash-talk while Pocket remained quite quiet in open chat. And there was plenty of griefing.
On Friday, April 4th Pocket let her AV stand while she was AFK. In Pocket's absence, Rainn's friends hung a sign over Pocket's head that said such slogans as "Hacker", "Slut" and "Stinky". Rainn encouraged her friends and laughed along with them. Later, one of Pocket's friends began griefing Rainn. What had been an orderly display of fashion modeling had decayed into complete madness.On the final day, Pocket pulled ahead and established a 100+ vote lead and by 6:00pm SL time (the end of the contest) she had won the popular vote by over 150 points.
It was shortly thereafter that JD Hansen, the owner of JCNY announced "POCKET IS DISQUALIFIED…"
JD continued her explanation as to why she'd disqualified Pocket:
"THE STORE HAS BEEN WATCHED BY OUR CUSTOMER REPS, VOTING HAS BEEN WATCHED, THE NUMBERS HAVE BEEN WATCHED. THERE WERE MULTIPLE AVIES TP'ING IN AND VOTING AND TP'ING IN THE SAME SPOT. REPORTS WERE SENT TO US FROM VARIOUS AVATARS, NEW SAME DAY ALTS. WE WATCHED THIS FOR 2 WEEKS. WE'RE JUST PLAYING FAIR; CALL IT WHAT YOU WILL. WE WILL PLAY FAIR, WE'VE BEEN DOING THIS CONTEST NOW FOR OVER 7 MONTHS AND 2 YEARS IN SL WE'VE ALWAYS DONE THE RIGHT THING AND WORKED DAY AND NIGHT FOR EVERYONE HERE. WE KNOW SOME OF YOU THINK THAT THE CONTEST IS ALL ABOUT TRAFFIC BUT ITS NOT, BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT MADE ANY MORE LINDENS, MORE LAG LESS SALES; SO THATS BEING CLEARED UP NOW WE CAN ANNOUNCE WINNERS…"
I tried to get an answer explaining which of the contest rules explained Pocket's disqualification. Her response? "We had multiple incidents, documented accounts, and witnesses proving alts and bots in the store. The voting machine was getting votes for "person in question" even when no avatars were present. The truth is we know there was foul play. We dealt with it in the best manner. The decision was made and we stand by it. The next two in line as winners Split the 50,000L in a fair and just conclusion to our 30 day event. This is SL and were just people like everyone else and we feel the right decision was made and stand by it. We do not support cheating of any kind."

In an interview today, JD Hansen stated that no rule of the contest had been broken but that cheating had taken place. When pressed on what that cheating was, she stated it to be "votes appeared in the voting box without any avatars present". And again stated that Pocket's group had cheated because the voting machine would tally votes for Pocket while nobody was present.
I brought this matter to the delightful Arthur Corrigible, the creator of the voting box used at JCNY. He stated unequivocally that it is impossible to change the way the machine works without breaking the entire SL security system. Can someone tamper? "No, only if SL system is unsafe" (he is French). He seemed dismayed that his work was the scapegoat for JD Hansen's machinations.
Linden Labs concurred with Arthur stating that "SL has not suffered any security issues this past month".
What might explain the invisible voter phenomenon? When pressed for opinion, Pocket stated that many of her friends were tired of "being harassed" in the voting area and had taken to voting from the TP zone at JCNY. I tried this style voting on a similar voting box at Evely Lane Photography and was able to vote from at least 80M from the box. In addition, while 5 SLers (including me) where standing near the voting box at E.Lane I had 2 friends TP to Evely Lane's TP Zone, zoom in to the box, vote and leave. All 5 of us standing at the box saw the votes appear and not one of the others noticed my friends' presence. They had managed to TP in, vote and leave in 10 seconds. I can't imagine anyone would need to take more time than that at JCNY. "

The above is an edited version, meaning I have cut out some unneeded parts, but I have not changed the contents or the context. JD Hansen had this to say when i spoke with her, (after we got over the fact that I did not write this):

[2008/04/08 11:30] JD Hansen: first of all, Im no programmer so I dont know how this box was made and I do not hold the maker responsible for anything I saw happen with the box nor a linden labs security break.
[2008/04/08 11:31] JD Hansen: btu I do know what I saw was odd and unethical for our contest. What I saw was the vote machine working in Pockets favor with no one in range of casting a single vote. Also numerous reports from my staff, customer reps, live models, and customers over the period of two weeks before our decision. All of this info was collected, I didnt believe it myself until I went to investigate this happening myself
[2008/04/08 11:33] JD Hansen: When I did look into it, everyone was right. I saw the machine getting votes on in her favor. Anyone with a conscience would have made the same decision and do whats right in the light of the situation.
[2008/04/08 11:34] JD Hansen: I did what I thought was right. I do not support any for of cheating regardless of how technology is or is not used to achieve it. Seeing it myself. Lead me to do the right thing. Which I did and stand by my decision. which was in no way influenced by either mob present at the awards.
[2008/04/08 11:36] dana Vanmoer: but do you think its possible that this person was right and you just did not see those voting?
[2008/04/08 11:36] JD Hansen: Like I said Im not a programmer. Im not saying its a perfect system but I do know we wont use it again. I only know what I saw as a business owner I did what was right. And I will not support cheating or foul play of any kind in SL.

This morning the following press release was waiting for me:

Important Lessons Learned from REALITY MODEL CONTEST.
Announces return to old contest format
The JCNY Reality Model contest ended on this past Sunday evening with much dissatisfaction and drama. It saddens me that this occurred, when my business is about providing special tokens of affection for couples in love. Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than having a successful business that allows me as a builder to fill this special niche.
Cheating, name calling, and intimidation of all sorts, whether by a contestant or voter, had no place at JCNY. I stand by my decision to disqualify the person who received the greatest number of votes. I witnessed a manipulation of the vote, and whoever was behind it, whether the contestant or not, my only option was disqualification.
The JCNY organization is not about causing anyone misery. We love fashion, we love being able to provide that fabulous and special gift. The fashion business is not always nice, but we strive to have a business that is an expression of love. JCNY is excited to have Riann as our spokes model next month. We expect that she will exemplify the spirit of what our business means. We wish Pocket and her supporters the best and acknowledge their heartfelt expressions of disappointment.
As a result of the outcome of the contest, the JCNY organization will no longer hold "vote based" contests. We are returning to the "judged" format with clear contest criteria and qualified and neutral judges. I have tossed the voting machine in the trash, though it saddens me that my effort to bring greater "participation" turned into an exercise in anger and accusations by all sides. It was an experiment with a lesson all vendors should take careful note. Though obvious in hindsight, "popular votes mean winning and losing sides." That is not good for contestants, not good for the voters – all of which are your greatest asset, your customers.
We hope to put the JCNY Reality Model contest behind us, as sad lesson learned, and move to the next competition and a beautiful year for you all in Second Life.
Thank you for your time.
JD Hansen

JCNY Collection

I leave you to make up your own minds on what happened and what you would have done.
Dana

0 comments: