Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tangled up in Blue

Oohh, I love spring. A smile starts to play about my lips when I see crocuses valiantly battling the February frosts and now, when the leaves are just bringing forth that acid froth of green…well I’m grinning from ear to ear. And I can’t get enough. Having planted the RL vegetable patch, I’m out there daily, scouring the earth for the first specks of green shoots. But it’s a slow business…and there’s only so long I stand watching bare earth before the neighbours start thinking that I am doo-lally (hmmm…make that more doo-lally). So here I am, looking at how to turn my SL garden into a real spring garden


Heart Garden Centre is the obvious port of call for me. It’s kind of the gold standard for SL plants in my opinion, and it has kept me stocked with daffodils and snowdrops through the first dark months of the year. Now I am wallowing in drifts of candy pink and white cherry blossom and swooning at the intense blue of single stem hyacinths in terracotta bowls.


But I am already thinking ahead to May and here creators Lilith and Dolly Heart excel themselves…I can festoon the porch of my home with climbing wisteria, place gracefully drooping standard trees in pots for Italianate elegance or use more relaxed and natural spans for bigger spaces. Although most of Heart’s trees are available as saplings, young or mature trees and there is a lot of choice for summer, winter and autumnal foliage, I still think there could be more to capture this beautiful time of year. Please ladies…more for the spring collection!! For now, I have to satisfy my spring lust with red and yellow tulips in 12 packs which I’ll strew about the garden like some animated Proserpine in heels.



0 comments: