Saturday, July 12, 2008

Styling your Second Life with Firehorse

This weeks styling your second life has been the most difficult for me to put together, this week I’ve approached the furry side of Second Life. I’ve always admired the many and various furry avs and, generally, I have got on very well with the furries I’ve met, but there is a noticeable separation of human/furry ways. As human you may be tolerated in furry places, but chances are you won’t feel like you quite fit, and as I found out, the same goes when you are wearing fur in places aimed mostly at human avs.
Furry is a lifestyle choice I am not sure I totally understand, but then I don’t quite get the impulse that makes people be dragons, tinies or robots – it’s not a judgement thing, I just don’t get it. I admire the avs, (and now the nerve) that these choices involve but it just isn’t me.
Having said that it is lots of fun and with a bit of searching you can pick up quite a lot of furry stuff for free – it isn’t always as easy to find as the other freebies we’ve looked at but it is there and if you are polite I’ve found the furry community are happy to help. Once people knew I was looking I had several offers of free avs from individuals but if you are shy then there are places to pick them up.
There are free avs at Sarah Nerds NineInchFreebies (see sarah nerds profile picks for the landmark). Here you will find Grendels Childrens Ja Ja Binks “furry” av, amongst other bits and pieces. Also there is a huge box of over seventy free furry avatars at the Northstar Mall (warning this is not a PG mall) as well as a good selection of very cute avatars at Waggytails II.
Once you are snug in your fur vist Luskwood – not only are the people there very friendly and welcoming but the sim is absolutely beautiful – one of the most entrancing places I’ve visited.
I asked what groups are good for people who are new to the furry lifestyle to join and got a few suggestions, the luskwood group, rocket city group and the NorthStar group (again be warned this group is not always PG).
As you can see my kitty was rather lovely ( the first time in my SL I haven’t been a red head) and drew lots of admiring comments.

Going furry feels like a big step if you are usually human on SL but take the chance, it is a wonderful experience – a whole different community to explore and as I say, a very welcoming one. Yes, FurNation can be a bit intimidating for people new to the life style – yes it isn’t PG, but if you can cope with the banter and the leg pulling then you will be quickly made welcome and as I said I can not praise highly enough the good folk at Luskwood, the welcome is warm and before long you will forget your misgivings and be enjoying one of the wonderful alternative lifestyles that Second Life allows us to experience.

1 comments:

Bixyl Shuftan said...

It helps if you're a science fiction nut, or at least it did with me. ;-)